Monday, March 18, 2019

Thoughts on the recently held National Food Fair

Every year, I look forward to the trade exhibits organized by the Department of Trade and Industry to get an idea of what our people are up to from around our country. More often though my expectations are way over what I find and I go home consoling myself that next time, things can be better.

For this year, my most interesting take home from the National Food Fair held in Mega Mall last 14-17 March 2019 was a sea food crackling called 'kibit' from Quezon. I had seen it before but it now comes in better packaging. It is quite unusual but does not really taste special. Not something to ook forward to buying again.


Another thing that caught my eye was the attractive packaging of chocolate from Mindanao. I am hoping that our local chocolate industry continues to improve and become competitive with international brand chocolates.





In this kind of exhibit, I see opportunities in areas of condiments and sauces, instant foods, innovative foods, etc. However, the success of our food industry depends on how we support and strengthen our agricultural sector. My question then is if we are doing enough for it.


No comments: