Sunday, January 3, 2016

Promoting our local fruit wines

Among the gifts I received last Christmas was a bottle of Bignay fruit wine.

I am not a wine connoisseur so I will not deign speak about its quality. What I wonder though is if locally produced fruit wines can have a steady market to make their production viable and a worthy investment.

Some ideas I thought of while pondering how to create and sustain a market for local fruit wines are:

1. create "bubble wine" which is like the artificial caviars produced from molecular gastronomy techniques. This is merely a novelty which will eventually wear off but at least it would have stirred interest for the wine.

2. create liqueurs and syrups for cocktail drinks
3. make them into cooking wines and salad vinegars
4.promote local fruit wines as official "toasting" or ceremonial wines
5. look for and tout their health benefits
6. improve packaging and promote as tourist souvenir item


No comments: