Sunday, July 26, 2015

Train on wheels or is it a bus pretending to be a train?

During the Science and Technology Week held at the Mall of Asia and which was organized by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), I had a chance to try out the Hybrid Road Train being developed by the DOST.

I am all for a mass transport system but I wonder if with this train the DOST is on the right track. Will it be as affordable, fast, efficient and comfortable as a real train?

It is still in the prototype stage and there are many issues that are evidently crying to be resolved such as the noise of the engine, air conditioning, not to mention where to ultimately run it for real.

I asked a staff what is the key development that they have introduced in their creation and he told me that it is the engine that can run on diesel and electricity.

I am all for a modern, rapid mass transport system and I welcome all efforts to achieve this objective. Still when I tried this transport, I can not help think that this train is really a bus.



No comments: