Saturday, June 25, 2016

"Adik" Crafts

 
 
Although I am all for recycling and up-cycling, I am not really a fan of turning discarded packaging and other waste material into decorative items. For me, this is just delaying the discarded material's trip to its final resting place - the garbage heap.
 
For lack of a better term, I call this proclivity of some people to turn trash into decorative items as "adik-crafts" because I associate this activity with mostly prisoners and drug addicts undergoing rehab.
 
Not that I am being judgmental or being biased against it. In fact, I am completely neutral. If it helps people pass away time, earn a little income or even turn a new leaf  I am happy for them.
 
I am hoping though that aside from working on the decorative aspect, practical uses can be found for these waste materials.
 
In the case of PET water bottles, I have noted three worthwhile uses one of which I found very practical.
 
These are:
1. PET mini  aquarium to hold a small fish that feeds on mosquito larvae. This may help minimize mosquito population especially the disease carrying kind. (see picture)
 
2. PET salted egg maker. Simply cut the top part of 5-6 liter water bottle. Put fresh chicken eggs and submerge in supersaturated salt solution. Put weight on eggs to keep each egg under the solution for about two weeks. After two weeks, remove egg from the solution and boil in a pot of fresh water till cooked.
 
 
 
3. Plastic bag closer. This idea I find very neat and useful because it makes it easy to close tight a plastic bag after getting a portion of its contents.
 
 
 
Of course there are many other ideas out there, but for me these three are good enough.


No comments: