Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fighting depression with exercise

For the longest time I have been struggling against depression - this hateful feeling of despondency, sadness and mental pain that I know is not normal and that I should not have.

Depression puts me in a state of hopelessness and prevents me from thinking clearly and being productive. I have become forgetful and unfocused and it has kept me from holding on to a job for a long time.

Still despite the temptation of taking medicine to rid me of this condition I refuse to take medication for fear of the drug's rebound effect which I fear may make my problem worse.

In my quest to find a non medical solution to depression I find the remedy that works for me is exercise and physical activity. Biking and walking a lot somehow makes me feel better. My problem with exercise though is how to get over the first few minutes of inertia and how to be consistent in exercising at least every other day.

I have even tried laughter therapy but I can not say that it worked for me. What I am sure of is that it made me feel silly. But I will not put this down completely. I read somewhere that in one psychological experiment, merely smiling, even when forced can already alter the brain and put a person in a positive frame of mind. Maybe I am just too impatient to wait for its beneficial effect.




No comments: