Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Philippine Hoyas



Among the gems of Philippine flora are our native and endemic hoyas. Hoyas have beautiful flowers and some of them are even scented and can perfume a garden.

When I first saw a hoya plant, I was not really interested since what I saw was a very viny specimen. But when I realized that the creeping nature of this plant can spawn a possible industry in making plant containers and trainers, I began to be interested and tried to learn more about it.

Now I have become an enthusiast and am thinking of collecting the many hoya varieties.. I wonder  how long will my enthusiasm last though.

I also have this idea of promoting the hoya as a signature plant of a Filipino garden or even as an indoor decorative plant. One nice thing about the hoyas is that they are supposed to be very hardy plants.

No comments: