Friday, August 8, 2014

At the 10th DA Agriculture and Fisheries Technology Exhibit


I wish I can say that the exhibit was a huge success with many new things to see and discover. But sadly that is not the case. I felt let down by this exhibit that showed nothing but more of the same of what they had been showing from last year and the previous years before that. And to think that this forum was even participated in by the various state colleges and universities.

In the exhibit I saw several stalls that carried wines made from various local fruits and vegetables. I wish the makers of these wines success but frankly I do not see how these products can become marketable.

One reason why traditional grape wine is widely consumed is because it can be taken as an accompaniment to meals to enhance the eating pleasure. If that can be said for the locally made fruit wines then maybe, local wine makers should advertise that possibility to open a new market for their produce.

A novelty I found at the exhibit was the chicharon made from sea cucumber. They look like some kind of crispy giant worms but taste very much like the usual chicharon. Maybe because it was a novelty, it immediately sold out. Hopefully, in the next exhibit, there will be more novelties like this chicharon from Quezon Province which is called "kibit"

No comments: