Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Meeting of A-Chevers

Today I attended a meeting of Chevening alumni to form an organization. To define us, I thought of a name for our members: A-Chevers, short for Alumnus of Chevening. Too bad though that the idea came to me only as an afterthought when the meeting had ended and I was on my way home.

I thought A-Chevers would make a nice name because it sounds like "achiever" although it gives the impression that members of this organization have a spelling problem. Still this name will constantly remind us to do our best. But I don't know how other people will find it or if it will be okay to shorten the Chevening name as per any UK Foreign Commonwealth Office rule.

Per the website description of the Chevening Program, it is "the UK government's global scholarship program, funded by the FCO and other sponsors. The scholarships are awarded to outstanding established or emerging leaders....".

Naks! It is flattering to read what is required in order to be awarded a scholarship or fellowship in this program but looking at myself, I can't take this description seriously. I believe there is also leadership in being a good follower. What I take seriously though is the obligation to pay back for having been given a great learning opportunity and experience by the UK government. While paying back is not explicitly required of us, I believe this is the decent thing to do.

The Chevening Program is a foreign policy instrument and diplomatic tool of the UK government. For me as a Filipino however, the way to pay back is not to be a rah rah boy of UK interests in the Philippines but to seek out ways by which we can further strengthen our countries' relations through the common values we share and to promote our mutual interests and we have many.

The three months that I spent at the University of  Birmingham studying Democracy, Security and the Rule of Law as a Chevening fellow were among the most memorable and best time in my life. As a fellow, I saw, witnessed and learned many things and I am truly grateful to the UK government for this.

But what value is knowing or learning something without being able to put it to good use and in the service of others? Thus I see the formation of an alumni association as an opportunity to pay back and I am curious to know how this organization will turn out to be.






No comments: