Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Leaf wrapped pili sweet


Among the many ways of packaging the traditional pili sweet is to wrap it in a maribago leaf which infuses the pili candy with its pleasant aroma. This I learned when a friend from Bicol gave me this sweet treat over the holidays.

I did not know that there is a maribago tree whose leaves can be used to wrap pili (and maybe other foods?) until I was given this Bicolano sweet. Although I try to avoid sweets as much as possible, I really enjoyed this pili confection since it was not really that sweet as it used raw, unrefined sugar. And I was even tempted to try to make a tea out of the leaves used to pack them. The leaves were quite fragrant.

Now I am very interested to know more about this maribago tree and the other food uses of its leaves as well. I wonder if it is good only for its aroma or if it has any toxicity at all.

But for the pili in maribago leaves, what can I say - it was "pili"cious.

No comments: