Thursday, July 5, 2012

Coix lacryma-jacobi l.

I used to think that the plant I knew as "katigbi" was just a worthless weed.


However, at the "Makina Saka Expo" of the Department of Agriculture (DA) which was held at the World Trade Center last July 4-7, 2012, I learned that katigbi - its seed- is actually edible and has even been identified by the DA as a potential crop that can help strengthen our food security.

Coix lacryma-jacobi l is the scientific name of katigbi. One of its name in english is Job's tears which is actually the meaning of  lacryma jacobi. In some areas of the country though, it is more known as "adlai".

The milled seeds of "adlai"  has a glutinous corn like taste that has a lot of potential use even in fine cuisines. In fact, people in other countries like China and Vietnam already utilize this as food. I was able to taste it steamed and I thought it was really nice.

I hope the DA succeeds in promoting the propagation and acceptance of this crop locally.







No comments: